What Am I Entitled To Be Compensated For If My Claim Is Accepted

  1. Treatment Expenses

 You are entitled to be compensated for all of your reasonable and necessary treatment expenses. You should seek approval for treatment from the CTP Insurer prior to undergoing that treatment. At the conclusion of your claim you may be awarded a lump sum which includes compensation for past treatment  expenses and future treatment expenses you are likely to incur.


  1. Loss of Earnings

 If you lose income due to not being able to work because of the injuries you sustained in the Motor Vehicle Accident, you may be entitled to compensation for lost wages.   Usually any compensation for past loss of earnings will be paid at the conclusion of your compensation claim unless you can demonstrate financial hardship. You may also be awarded compensation for future loss of wages.


  1. Domestic Assistance

If you are seriously injured you may be entitled to compensation for domestic assistance. Thresholds apply as to whom maybe eligible and you should discuss your possible entitlements with your lawyer.


  1. Non-Economic Loss (Pain and suffering)

Compensation for pain and suffering is only payable to the most seriously injured claimants. Thresholds apply and to be eligible for compensation for pain and suffering you would need to have a Whole Person Impairment assessed at over 10 per cent in accordance with the American Medical Association Guidelines (Ed 4) and the Motor Accident Assessment Guidelines.  This may not sound like a high threshold but it is extremely difficult to exceed the threshold unless the injury is in the most serious category. 

This is often very difficult for injured claimants to understand. It can seem very unfair to not be compensated for the pain and suffering you are experiencing through no fault of your own. It is for this reason it is essential to have legal assistance and advice to obtain the maximum compensation you are entitled to.